Monday, September 2, 2013

SO EXCITED!


Ek'abo Ebi! (Welcome Family!)
We are in September already! But my journey to publication and recognition continues.  I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to appear on the blog, Diverse Pages.  Their purpose is to promote and discover MCoC’s (Main Characters of Color) in the mainstream and independent publishing industry in genres such as fantasy, sci-fi etc. [http://www.diverse-pages.com/]
They are currently running a series called Coloring Outside the Lines and I’ve been asked to appear as a guest author.  The point of the series is to recognize those of us who take the chance to write outside our race, culture etc.  It gives us a forum to discuss our feelings about the writing process, what made us decide to step out and approach the “unfamiliar.”
As some of you already know, my story is based in West Africa.  As a woman who was born in America and raised by Caribbean parents, this process was and continues to be an eye-opening experience.  Wouldn’t it have been safer to go with what I know?  I’m sure that in some instances that would have been best. But imagine all the things I’d have missed out on; new countries, languages, cultures you name it.  To tell you the truth, I did not truly appreciate all that I had done, until after I read my first draft. Enlightening is the best word to use for that experience.
So when I read the call for submissions for Diverse Pages, I screwed up the courage and reached out to them.  This was a great chance to share my journey and let others know that they are giving the world a gift by sharing their story. Connections are made in so many different ways and you don’t have to speak with someone directly to do it.
Someone out there regardless of the race or culture may read your story and realize, “I see myself in you!” or “We have so much in common!” Wouldn’t you feel a sense of fulfillment knowing that you were able to do that for another?
Reading the entries of other authors, I noticed that we each have a different outlook on the publishing process.  But we all understand that writing outside your comfort zone should be encouraged.
Please check out my thoughts on:
And I’ve also done an author interview should you like to know more about me.  (Tomorrow @ 9:00 am EST!)
After your visit, hit me up and let me know what you think!
Mari e laipe!
See you soon!

S-

No comments:

Post a Comment