Monday, September 9, 2013

CHANGES

Ek'abo Ebi! (Welcome Family!)

I took my boys to a birthday party/barbeque the day before the new school year started.  The party was at one of the more popular parks in my area.  While my boys enjoyed their last swim of the summer with their dad, (I was in no mood to get chlorine in my hair LOL!) I sat down and watched as the leaves fell from the trees. I was surprised to see that the seasonal change had already begun. There were leaves in shades of yellow and a bit of red too.  As I watched them fall, I began to think about the changes writers go through when writing a book.

You know!  That process that we experience at the beginning, the middle and the end of a book? Do you remember who you were when you started? Were you nervous, tense, wondering if doing this would be worth your time? Do you remember looking in the mirror and seeing a different person at the end? Perhaps, you looked more confident and a hell of a lot more knowledgeable about what it takes to write a book?

Whether you are a writer who has been classically trained or a person who decided one day to put pen to paper, we all go through changes when trying to creating the perfect story.

Changes can come in different forms.  I must say that writing has been a real education for me.  Developing my skills as a writer; learning to give a character more of a voice or enhancing a scene in a book. It is a never-ending process. Don’t get me wrong, these changes caused me to view things differently and to gain knowledge about the culture I chose to write about. 

For others it could be the changes they go through just by bringing a story to life.  It’s like giving birth to an idea that you’ve been carrying around for years! Perhaps, you see it as self-therapy; a way to purge or give yourself closure.  Maybe it has allowed you to get over your fear of writing.  And now you have the courage to write all the other stories that have been running around in your head! 

What changes did you go through during your process?  Did you find out that you are you an obsessive writer who blocks out everyone and everything?  Did you find out that you are interested in something more than romance? Did you stumble upon the Sword and Soul genre and realize that the story that has been sitting in a dusty notebook in the back of your draw for years would be the perfect fit?  If so, reach out to me and share your story! I would love to hear about it. 

Mari e laipe!
See you soon!

S-

No comments:

Post a Comment