Monday, April 14, 2014

RED LEAF INSPIRATION


Ek'abo Ebi! (Welcome Family!) 

It’s 1:30 in the morning and the family and I are in route to Ontario (Canada to be specific).  I can feel it. It’s excitement rolling off of my boys. As tired as they are, they are giddy with the thought of going somewhere different for spring break. This will be their first foray outside the U.S. and hopefully not their last. 

Looking at their passports, I am tickled by their expressions.  I was informed that they could not smile when posing for the photos.  This was a task, as two out of three always made it difficult for the other to be serious.  There was giggling, there was snickering and I’m sure that a few silly faces were being made behind my back.  But they managed nonetheless. LOL!


https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg_Jgpg9Nwx9VlZwzj-U3seKqFiziqAAQ1yK8nMmx4RD8kpugjrQ


As we drove through Pennsylvania, I watched as daylight spread across the sky, but it did not bring the sun with it. The inclement weather brought with it a foggy landscape that freaked me out as I could barely see the road ahead of us.  Thank goodness for white lines.  To my left and right my boys and I saw what looked like the bodies of two huge creatures that had not awakened from their nightly slumber.  (I know, it’s a pretty fanciful thought but it was 6:30 in the morning and I was running on very little rest).  At a second glance, the outline of the mountains, (the Alleghenies) became clear.


https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4Ql-GCBAY50WpOZ8-kZs8Fp4QH0Nv6-I2i6QNECyecG7dAljz

 

We were 1,200 feet above sea level which explains the clogging of my ears and the weird cloud formations that looked like a sea of stratus and ripped, white cloth.  Looking at the clouds made me think of tales of mystical lands, where the villagers lived above and below the clouds. 

I gave them names. They would be known as the Ina (Yoruba for Light) and awn dudu, (Yoruba for The Dark). The Ina would be exposed to the sunlight and awn dudu would wish for it.  Fanciful, early morning, lack of rest … hey it happens. LOL!  I thought that this would be a great idea for a new story.

 

I think I will call it “Orun” which means sunlight in Yoruba.


https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMiv2FbBMm09GKmQWW3QbKJbZZnU3tHRFHyWZXRSbXVIiKpyoP


The people of the Ina will be equally miserable as the people of awn dudu. Though blessed with the sunlight, the Ina never experience night and therefore survives with little or no sleep.  Their skin and hair will be toasted brown.  But the dark circles under their eyes make them look like the little, dark eyed, grey-brown mammals that were once indigenous to their home.

They will wear protective clothing to protect them from the sun’s rays.  Most members of the tribe will be short-tempered and angry.  Their lack of rest makes it hard to concentrate. Each day they search for ways to get below the clouds.  Their path is barred due to an earthquake that occurred hundreds of years ago.  It destroyed the steps that were etched into the side of the mountain. Both tribes believe that a deity carved the steps into the side of the mountain with his finger but took it away when the tribe members stopped worshipping him.  The Ina and awn dudu, traded goods and services in the past and would have been happy people. 

The awn dudu on the other hand, will be slow-witted, lethargic and pale as the clouds that hover endlessly above their heads.  They sleep too much and lack the energy and/or interest in doing more.  The awn dudu do just enough to survive. Protective clothing is just as important to them as the climate is much colder below the clouds.  Hundreds of years would have passed since they’ve last seen the sunlight and only the elders will still believe in its existence.  The tribe members will long for warmth, but they’ll show no curiosity in what lies above or ahead.  The youth on the other hand, listen to the stories told by the elders, believe there is truth to them and search for a way to reach the sun. 

Family I put the ball in your court.  I would love to hear your ideas on this story.  What steps will the Ina take to reach below?  What steps will the youth of the awn dudu take to reach the sun?  Will they meet half way?  Will people lose their lives in the process?  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and or suggestions!! 


Mari e laipe!
See you soon!  

S-


*****


Thanks for visiting ‘Amachi is Hope.’ If you were inspired or felt a connection with today’s blog (or any of my previous entries) please leave a comment. J

1 comment:

  1. Wow, really ineresting story line. Right now you seem to going towards a youth revolution. May I suggest that the youth revolution be to inspire the elders to reclaim their active role in the community thus turning lethargy into courage and action. Let them be the ones that will find the sun.

    It's just and an idea. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete