Tuesday, August 6, 2013

CONNECTIONS

In the Yoruba culture, there is a deep belief in the mystical connection between objects and the forces embedded in or suggested by their names.  That belief also applies to children. The name given to a newborn holds great power. It can influence their entire life; behavior, integrity, whether he or she will become a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist!  
But seriously, everything in life has some sort of connection; a commonality that draws us together.  The same can be said about the relationships and connections that are made while we strive to put pen to paper. Over the past few weeks, I’ve been reaching out to number of individuals in the writing community. As you know, connections in publishing are extremely important.  It only takes one word from the right person or person(s) to either put you at the top or drop you at the bottom of a pit, never to be seen again.J
Another great benefit of a connection is the new perspective I mentioned in my earlier blog entry.  Someone can open your eyes to a whole new direction for your story.  A genre you never thought to pursue or even heard of. All of a sudden a door opens and all these new avenues appear.  An obstacle has now become an opportunity.  Do you close the door or do you grab that opportunity with both hands and see where it leads you? 
Almost two years ago, I reached out to an old college friend.  We were pretty close in school and until now I still can’t figure out how we lost contact.  So we started reconnecting and I was in absolute awe when I found out she was a published author and was currently in the process a writing a new book!  Not to mention, I completely forgot that her family was from West Africa; the same location that my story is based in. Overnight she became an advisor, translator, resource, supporter you name it. A simple phone call renewed a friendship and opened the door to a very valuable connection!
If you haven’t already done so, start reaching out.  Network. Follow websites and blogs. Create, develop and sustain connections with the people who can help you reach your goals.   Communicate with individuals who have the same or similar interests. Open that door and step through it. Epictetus said: The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best.  That’s another good piece of advice.
Mari e ni'gba mi and See you later!

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. Nothing in life is a coincidence. Everything is based on a series of synchronicities. What we are, internally, will be attracted to us in the material world. All of us are magnetic beings with different vibrations in flux.

    I've met so many people who are on my current wavelength within the past two years. Its so interesting to be conscious of the shifts in your social circle as changes are happening from within as well.

    Anywho, I am going to try to set up a blogger account. I have a tumblr blog: http://ajna-aakhu.tumblr.com/ - I really want to try to merge both. But that is a work in progress, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can do nothing but smile about this. I never posted my thoughts but I am rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete