Tuesday, July 23, 2013

JUST WHEN YOU THINK YOU'RE ALMOST THERE...


Hi everyone! You know, there’s a Yoruba proverb that says:  Ebè kan ṣoṣo àkùrọ́ kúrò ní “Mo fẹ́rẹ̀ẹ́ ṣíwọ́.” [Please don’t ask me to read it! I wouldn’t know where to begin LOL!] But it means: The first step is not nearly the completion of a long journey.
For those of you who have already been published, I am sure you remember all the trials and tribulations you went through before you received that first offer of representation. Examples?
  • THE INFAMOUS REJECTION LETTER (not all of us are lucky enough to knock it out of the park on the first run! LOL).
  • REVISIONS, REVISIONS and what’s that? ANOTHER REVISION (UGH, can you say red ink?)
  • Trying not to be sensitive when someone CRITIQUES you.
  • Finding the courage to send out your first QUERY letter.  (My finger hovered over the SEND button for a good 20 minutes!)
And the list goes on and on.  When I started this blog, I believed I was almost there.  I was pretty confident.  Ready to take that next step and then it happened.  A new set of eyes and a new perspective and suddenly I could hear a loud screeching sound. I had to throw my brakes. One more obstacle appeared before me.
SIGH.  So instead of taking that next step, I now have to retrace them.  But you know what? IT’S ALL GOOD! As frustrating as this is, I won’t be the first or the last to go through it.
The journey one goes through to become a published author is full of tears, anger, joy, disappointment, you name it.  But if you didn’t go through all of this, would you feel like you actually earned it? 
I remember when I was in college. In my four years there, I watched a number of friends go through the PLEDGE process.  I really felt sorry for them; coming into class all discombobulated and barely awake.  Goodness! And then I remember, afterwards.  When they "crossed over" into a new stage of their lives.  You could feel the pride and sense of accomplishment roll right off of them and on to you.  How could you not be happy for them? Brand spanking new fraternity or sorority jackets; line name, year and number beautifully and boldly written for the whole world to see.  I’d like to see you tell them that they did not earn it.
And that’s pretty much the way I look at this journey.  It will be a long one, full of twists and turns, ups and downs.  But once I reach my goal, it will be my turn to feel that sense of pride and accomplishment. 
So this is a shout out to all those authors who are fighting to have their voices heard.  Bí ó pẹ́ títí, àlejò á di onílé.  Persistence leads to success.  I intend to follow my own advice.  I hope you will do the same!
Pade orire and Od'aro! Good Luck and Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment